Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Arwen


Arwen was one of our numerous fosters in 2006. She came from a home with a new baby and the parents thought she wouldn't get enough attention. What a gift for us! Arwen is now eight years old and has been with us for almost two years.
Arwen is my special buddy. She prefers to hang out with me until I go to bed, and she's aware that often there are late night snacks involved. When I was up with an abscessed tooth, Arwen was up with me. She was so comforting. When Sabatini is upset during the night about the weather, Arwen will come let me know. I know that when I die and am in heaven (hopefully), Arwen will be the first to welcome me.
Arwen like any other dog has her unique characteristics. She's picky about eating. I often have to coax her to eat. Usually I can get her started by adding a few treats to the top of her bowl of chow. She also takes the longest to eat. The other dogs have to wait patiently for her to finish before they get to lick her bowl. Arwen is also funny about her walks.
Arwen enjoys relaxing in the morning. Often she passes on the morning walk and waits for the shorter walk in the evenings. Neighbors, who I don't even really know, stop their cars and ask where the white dog is. I think this is so funny. Have you noticed how people remember your dogs' names but not yours? I'm the same way. I know people by the dogs they walk.
Arwen has a fear of fireworks, balloons, and always looks cautiously at signs and mailboxes on her walks.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Arwen;
You are my favorite but don't tell your sisters Cher and Sabatini!

Claudine

Tom Novack said...

I'm glad I got to meet Arwen. Your narratives are so expressive, I felt like I knew her long before we actually met. She was so sweet and gentle. She was lucky to have you at the end of her life. The love and medical attention you gave her was exceptional. You have a gift, not only with animals, but humans too. Both find great joy being your friend.