Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Poor Cher!

Cher went to the vet yesterday for a dental, chipping, and shots. She was perfect when I picked her up, but then pop, pop, pop...hives started popping up. Eventually, her whole head was swollen. She was sooooo miserable. This picture doesn't quite catch the misery. I took her back to the vet for a shot of cortizone and we drugged her up with some Benedryl. She's all better today but she hasn't quite forgiven me. She's had her teeth cleaned before. I'm not sure what was different this time. The vet said it was the same protocol as before. At least her teeth are sparkling. Arwen and Sabatini have lovely teeth and gums.

4 comments:

KF-in-Georgia said...

Poor baby! I'd be inclined to suspect the shots rather than the dental as the culprit.

Next time she's up for shots, maybe just do one injection on one visit, another on a different visit. (At most vets, you don't pay an office visit fee unless you see the vet. The one injection that absolutely must be done by a vet is rabies. So maybe do the rabies during a see-the-vet visit, the other shots by a tech on subsequent visits.) And ask your vet if Benadryl in advance of a shot would be a good idea.

I've started spreading out what my dogs get: rabies one time, DHPP another, bordatella another, dental another. The rabies visit is the annual exam, heartworm test, etc. The others can be with their favorite vet tech. If someone is going to react to something, I'll at least know which injection is the culprit. (Sam has some interesting allergies.)

J Skelton said...

Actually she only had the bordatella. We've gone for the three year rabies and DHPP. I'll just have to be better about brushing so she doesn't have to get her teeth cleaned for a very long time.

Addie said...

Poor Cher is right! She does look miserable. I hope she's feeling better.

Dawnie said...

Hey! I did a Ripken blog when I was w/AOL Journals. It was no where near as cool as yours. Love it! Have to ask: who's shorts in the pic? Ola? Is that the school down here? We have an Ola, but I don't know if they're the Bobcats. Just curious!